I don’t know why I find it so hard at the age of 33 to consider myself an adult. I have all the necessary credentials.
- A mortgage and a home
- A husband
- Two kids
- A dog
- A full time job
- A 401k
- Student loan debt
- And so on and so forth
But I still think of myself as a kid. Probably because I have absolutely no idea what I’m doing when it comes to raising my children. It can be a real shit show around here sometimes.
Disclaimer: Every once in a while I’ll have a good day and I’ll jinx it by thinking about what a rock star I was. That always cues the baby to spit up on me. A messy reminder that I’m still clueless and that 3-year-olds and 9-month-olds can be extremely unpredictable.
So here’s the deal. I did finally realize I was an adult. The signs were there all along, I just wasn’t paying attention. Here are just a few of them:
- I love the show Law and Order. That’s about as adult as it gets. I prefer SVU, then original Law and Order with Criminal Intent in last. Goren and Eames were not my Law and Order dream team. Who cast them?
- My dog has his own insurance plan. Is that normal?
- I wake up at 4:30 am every morning. By choice. And I like it.
- I wore tall white socks with a pair of shorts the other night.
- I actually have nice dishes.
- I got a new vacuum and it made my life. I LOVE HOME GOODS!
- I have a Pinterest board with ideas for a master bath remodel.
- I work at a bank.
- I have an Excel spreadsheet with the family’s monthly budget on it.
- I buy things in bulk.
- I wear athleisure wear whenever allowable. Grocery trip? Yoga pants and tennis shoes. Family Function? Yoga pants and tennis shoes. Kid’s birthday party? Nice yoga pants and tennis shoes that don’t have stains on them.
So yeah. I’m an adult. I’ve realized that I will probably just float through life as a clueless individual until I convince someone I actually know what I’m talking about.
So let’s make a toast with our multivitamins! Here’s to adulting!
And living our best lives when our kids stay with their grandparents for the weekend!
Until Next Time,
I get up at 4 am (to workout and do social media posting for our blog) and I love getting a jump on the day. The world is quiet and dark and I can get my first 2 wins in before the chaos starts, so I know what you mean… Thanks for sharing your experiences.
I get up early to workout too. I’ve been doing it for about three years now and it really is an awesome way to start the day!!