When Christmas time rolls around, I really find it hard to write about Christmas. Because it is everywhere. And it has been for MONTHS.
So I like to change things up a bit. I can’t take anymore Christmas carols. No more letters to Santa. I’m struggling to find new places for the damn elf on the shelf I gave into. Can Christmas come and I enjoy it fully and I have a wonderful time with my family then it be over?
This time last year I wrote about my true love and passion for mom jeans. It was a trend that I had just discovered. I really loved their high waist and ability to suck everything in without looking like you had completely given up. I could bend over to pick my kiddo up in them and no crack showed. It was like a freaking revolution for me.
I’m actually wearing mom jeans as I write this. They are black. And the waistband is elastic. Ehhh…maybe this pair isn’t so cool.
Now it’s time to confess my love for leggings. High-waisted leggings. That also suck everything in nice and tight. All of that looseness I have acquired from having two c-sections in three years has to be contained.
Do you know what my leggings provide that my mom jeans do not? Inexplicable comfort. I can sleep in them. I cannot sleep in mom jeans.
Hear me out here. Leggings are not ALWAYS pants. But the majority of the time they are pants.
Leggings are not pants for work. I cannot show up to a meeting wearing leggings and a hoodie.
That’s really the only time I can think where leggings aren’t acceptable pants.
Now here are the best times for leggings to be considered pants:
- When you are sick. Being sick when you are a mom is hard enough as it is. Now throw in some puking and two small children closing the toilet bowl on your head while you vomit. YOU NEED COMFORT! Leggings are pants at this point. This happened to me the other day. I had some horrible sickness and had to visit the doctor. It was only when they went to take my blood pressure that I realized the over-sized hoodie I had paired with my leggings had vomit on it. Oh well.
- Errands without the kids. If you are going to be kid free for once, be comfortable dammit! I escaped to Target yesterday for two entire hours all by myself. And you better believe I rocked my leggings and over-sized sweatshirt. I went to their Starbucks. I bought myself some shoes. I picked out wrapping paper. I bought my husband some new socks. I wore no makeup and my hair was in a topknot and it was delightful. I saw many people I knew and could not care less. I reveled in that joy and of course spent far more money than I should have.
- Relaxation time. Open yourself a bottle of wine, turn on Netflix, and pawn your children off on their grandparents. And wear those leggings sister.
- Errands with the kids. Running errands with kids is impossible and trying. At least for me. My three-year-old wants to run everywhere. A cart cannot contain him. I don’t know if a cage would contain him. So if i’m going to be carrying him kicking and screaming under my arm while he waves a foam sword I won’t buy for him and I am also attempting to navigate a full grocery cart with my newborn in it, I might as well be comfortable. If you see me at this time, which many of you have, just wave and smile.
- Any damn time you want. Because you are the only person in charge of you. So you rock those high-waisted suck it all in leggings. Bonus points if they are lined with fleece.
To sum it up, don’t listen to the haters. Leggings ARE pants, when worn in the correct situations. If they were not pants. why would they be manufactured at all?
I love my leggings and they make my life a better life to live. So the next time someone criticizes your choice of leggings, give them the heave ho. You don’t need that type of negativity in your life.
Until Next Time,