Can we get two Mother’s Days a year? Or four? How about once a month?
I am currently seven months pregnant. I also have an adorable/absolutely insane little boy that will be three in June. I have had multiple people ask me what I want for Mother’s Day.
If I don’t know them very well, I give the normal answer.
- I want hugs and kisses from my baby boy.
- I want to snuggle with him on the couch.
- I want him to draw a picture of me that I can frame and put on my desk at work.
- I want to have a beautiful brunch with my family.
If I know the person pretty well, I give them the answer that is more truthful but could also be considered politically correct by someone who knows I am not a very politically correct person.
- I want hugs and kisses from my baby boy – but only after he has slept past 6 am.
- I want to snuggle with my baby boy on the couch. Actually snuggle with him and not have him sit on my face or repeatedly jump on my large pregnant belly.
- While snuggling, I want to watch something on TV that does not have ANY talking animals.
- I want him to draw a picture of me where there isn’t a huge ball on my stomach because Mommy has a big belly.
- I want to have a beautiful brunch with my family where everyone tells me what a great mother I am. I want to not look extremely pregnant and swollen. I want to eat fourteen plates of food without anyone giving me the side eye.
Then there is what I truly want for Mother’s Day.
- I want hugs and kisses from my baby boy after I have had a full night’s sleep plus a bonus nap. Or two.
- I want to snuggle with my baby boy on the couch while binge watching Pretty Little Liars on Netflix and not have him screaming “MICKEY MOUSE MOMMY!” in my ear.
- I want my toddler to draw a picture of me with a great tan on a beach looking fabulous with flowing locks and abs. And maybe a crown. Or as a beautiful mermaid. Then I will frame it and put it on my desk at work. People will gush over what an amazing artist my toddler is.
- I want to eat myself into a carb-induced coma at brunch. I want cinnamon rolls and biscuits and gravy. I want to wear leggings and an over-sized hoodie to the table with my hair in a topknot and zero makeup. I want everyone to tell me I’ve never looked better and they can’t even tell i’m carrying a child the size of a basketball in my uterus.
- I want to be able to see my ankles and wear a cute pair of shoes without my swollen feet spilling over the tops.
- I want an entire cheesecake to myself that I can eat without my two-year-old sitting on my lap asking for bites every three seconds.
- I want to wake up with a tan. A real tan, not a fake orange one. I know this is impossible, but a girl can dream.
- I want to go on a date with my husband. A real date where we can sit and laugh and not worry about anything.
- I also wouldn’t mind getting new blinds for every window in the house.
Is this too much to ask for? I’m not asking for an all-expenses paid trip to Europe. Just a little peace and quiet with a lot of carbs, snuggles and compliments. Crazy how your idea of the perfect day changes after your own adorable/slightly dysfunctional little family.
Happy Mother’s Day to all you moms out there. I hope you get everything you wish for. You deserve it!
Until Next Time,
This made me smile and laugh out loud. I totally get it- giving people the sugar coated answers, then the semi-sugar coated answers, but secretly thinking other things. It’s hard to really say how we feel sometimes, isn’t it? I hope you have a wonderful Mother’s Day! And eat that cheesecake- or at least 2 slices (and no feeling guilty!!)! You’re building a baby in that belly, while raising another little one- you deserve it!! Sending you *hugs* 🙂
Thank you! I never feel guilty about eating cheesecake! Haha. I’m glad this made you smile!
I feel you mama! Last mother’s day I spent it home with my son and hubs, pregnant and 3 days past my due date. We had made no plans, because clearly we didn’t know when baby girl was coming.
Oh wow! I hope I don’t go past my due date with this one! I’m nine weeks out and feel like a whale!!!
Oh, girl! I only have a 6-month-old but she sure can be demanding, and loud lol and she’s just now getting into everything. I LOVE the realness of this post. Like, don’t all mamas kinda just want to have a break and relax. We take care of our beautiful humans day in and day out — 24/7. And although we’d love to say we want to do everything and anything with them on Mother’s Day, what we really kind of want is a break from all the things a mother has to do — cleaning, cooking, and we’d also like a nap. 😀 I feel you, girl!
Thank you! And I know! Is it too much to ask for a little peace and quiet and actually having my husband get up with our two year old for once? Haha!